Sunday, September 10, 2006

Nothing Going On

Well, I haven't seen any sights lately. Haven't left Guangzhou since Shanghai, and this week will be here for some customer visits. But just 17 days until I'm back for another week!

This past week was not a good one for me. China seems to have taken it's revenge. Upon returning from Shanghai, I was pretty ill. Serious body aches, chills, and not straying too far from the bathroom were high on my list. It seemed like an opprotune time to break into the drugs. After a quick self diagnosis, I decided to try my luck with the Cipro. Two days worth, and I was good as new! All was good until Saturday night, when I got my second round of food poisoning. Not sure what caused it, as everything I ate looked kosher, but whatever. I survived.

A while back someone asked for the price of things here. I think I've given a couple of examples, but I looked a little harder this week. First is McDonalds. A Big Mac meal here is 16 RMB, or $2. Here, that includes a small fry, and what would be child's drink in the US. Big Mac meal back home? About $4. Round 1, China. Second is beer. A 640ml Pearl River beer is 5.5 RMB, or about $0.70. That works out to $0.39 per 12 oz can. A 30 pack of Coors Light is around $18 back home, or $0.60 per can. Round 2, China. The third item I compared this week was ice cream (yeah, I eat healthy!). A pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream is 95 RMB, or $11.87! That same pint back in the States is $4 or $5. Round 3, US.

And because I don't want to leave you without something to do, here's some links to waste time with:

3 comments:

fat kid said...

it saddens me that you have a link to michael bolton on your blog. and it's not even one that makes fun of him - it's just a link TO him. SO SAD!!!

Jarvy said...

It does too make fun of him. I'm saying that there's no such thing as "The Essential Michael Bolton". Nothing related to Mr. Bolton could be deemed essential.

fat kid said...

you're a closet fan. admit it.