Yeah, you read that right, appliances are dumb. My house is full of them. The only one I'm on good terms with is the dishwasher, and I'm sure I've now jinxed that. My refrigerator leaks water from the freezer section, which I wetvac up every few weeks. My range only has two real burners, is electric, and the oven won't hold a consistent temperature, causing pizza to burn on one side and be raw on the other. The disposal is loud, and likes to jam a lot. My washing machine has never really been able to wash hot. It was mostly cold or freezing cold water. And Wednesday, the dryer decided to stop drying. Well, it will dry, just not tumble. Yes, it's just a broken belt. But while investigating the fabulous Whirlpool brand LDI 7801 W1 model dryer, I found that it's a week older than me (purchased June 1, 1978), and that parts don't really exist anymore. The washer is only slightly newer, having been acquired by a previous owner in 1980.
So the decision now is, fix or replace? If I replace, I might as well do the washer too, because Murphy's Law says it will break two days later if I don't replace it. And then it will probably just cascade to the fridge and range, leading me to remodel the whole kitchen. I mean, I'll already be in there, right?
Chad, I'm warning you about this home ownership thing right now.
Thursday, April 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Couple of things:
Get appliance insurance through one of your utility companies. I pay maybe $18/mth to have my furnace, water heater, oven, dryer, and main drain covered. I think you can add other appliances for $5 or so. I called them about my dryer and they fixed it.
If you get a new dryer, might as well get a new washer to match. Get a front loading washer. They use 40% less water. The sears outlet (I think it's 30 minutes North on 394) has good prices.
Get a griddle. It's a small appliance and they rule.
Post a Comment