Sunday, July 01, 2007

19h10m37s

So wedding number 3 of the year was this past weekend. No exotic machinery wrecked (sorry Nik), but I'm pretty sure one of the bridesmaids was annihilated.

Some interesting stats (many courtesy of the car).
  • Driving time: 19 hours 10 minutes 37 seconds
  • Wedding time (attended): approx 5 hours
  • Distance: 1,230.7 miles
  • Avg. MPG: 28.4
  • Gas Stops: 3
  • iTunes listened to: 306 songs (no repeats)
From the numbers, we averaged just over 64 mph. Pretty amazing, I do say. It helped that there was next to no traffic in Chicago either way, and only one major delay caused by an accident.

My cousin Ben and his new bride Ashley.
My mom on the right, and a couple of her aunts and an uncle. Unfortunately I don't remember many of the names. But they all recognized me, despite not seeing me for probably 15 years.
Trent, me, Angie, Matt, Julie, and Kelsey. Trent is Julie's friend. Angie is Matt's girlfriend. And Matt and Julie are my cousins. Does that make sense?
That was about it for the wedding pictures. I hadn't been out to Grand Rapids in about 3.5 years, so it was good to see everyone again.

On Saturday, Kelsey and I went to Saugatuck for some sightseeing. The first thing we did was a dune schooner ride! What's a dune schooner, you say? This!
Western Michigan near Holland has these enormous sand dunes, of which I have many happy childhood memories. We would camp at Holland State Park and climb up the dunes and run down them again. The sand dunes in Saugatuck have been stabilized by planting grass on the dunes.
Here I am, ready to relive running down the dune!
And there I am climbing up. I made a foolish decision, and wore shoes that actively captured as much sand as possible. It's not so easy climbing up the dune.
Lake Michigan from one of the dunes. It's about a mile away.
Yes, even the Amish love the dune schooner!
After an afternoon in the tourist trap, we headed back to my Uncle Ron's house. His wife Karen and he have two dogs who couldn't be more different. Meet Foster and Pudge. Kelsey is for reference. Foster weighs around 100 lbs, and Pugde about 4 lbs.
But Pudge is completely fearless! She would egg Foster on into tug of war matches. Foster would just fling the sock around, with Pudge hanging on for the ride.
And some video of Pudge in action.

Unfortunately I now have to deal with Kelsey asking for another dog. We made a deal. Once my parents get a dog, she can get another. So that should be sometime never.

No comments: