Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Walls Come Down

So as you all know, I've been in China, and my house has been occupied by Kelsey. She's done an admirable job keeping it tidy, and making improvments, mostly in the garden and landscaping department. Some very nice flowers took up residence in the front yard, as well as filling out the back. But one thing she felt like leaving to me was fence maintenance.

For any of you who have been to my house lately, you've seen the debacle that is my fence. Even the neighbors were wondering when I was going to do something about that fence. The problem is, it felt like a landmark in the neighborhood. But I don't think there was much choice. On Sunday, with a little help from my friends, we tore down the wall!

Before, the fence was a basketweave, approximately 50 years old. Posts were rotten, and I needed to prop up some of the sections. This is a picture from last summer.
During demolition.
The new view (if only temporary):
The rubble left over:
Of course, nothing gets done without some delicious fuel to keep the troops happy!
After we got the entire fence down, one of the neighbors, Anastacia, stopped by and had a chat. She mentioned how they completely missed the turn for the alley because the large red fence wasn't there anymore, so it really was a landmark for navigation! I have to give a huge thanks to Kelsey, Steve, Megan, Jake, Nate and Tony for the assistance over the day.

This week is reconstructing the new fence. All cedar with dog ear panels. I've already got the holes dug, and have placed the posts.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

How did you get the posts into the asphalt areas? Let me guess; the power hammer didn't work (but vibrated the hell out of your arms) so you went with M-80s. Wisconsinites heart fireworks!

Jarvy said...

The jackhammer took the asphalt out like a mob hit. Unfortunatly, it did nothing to the concrete. It probably would have worked on concrete slabs, but not on the post holes.