Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Feel Quite the Cheese?

I'm trying to book some travel in China. I'm here, might was well go see stuff, right? I figure, not many people come to China, but even less go to the far western edge of China, so I would really like to see it. In the Xinjiang Autonomous Region, there are pretty much two major cities, Urumqi and Kashgar. This area is less Chinese, and more Mongol and Kazakh. It's different, and that's why I would like to go. Kashgar (or Kashi in Pinyin) is further west, closer to the *stan countries.
The best site I've found for inter-China travel is Ctrip.com. It's got reviews, and flight searching, and is pretty helpful. But their English translation leaves a little to be desired. When searching for a Kashgar flight, this is the page I received.
It's a bit difficult to read, and the flight times are completely wrong (negative flying hours?). But whatever. This is a website anyone coming to visit should check out.

Given that a trip like that is quite a bit of adventure, as well as over USD $1k in flights, I think I'll spend the upcoming weekend in Macau. That is, if I don't have to travel somewhere for work. Macau is kind of like Hong Kong, in that it's a Special Administrative Region. It has it's own democracy, money, and customs. It's a bit of a gambling haven, the Las Vegas of China, if you will.

Oh, and for those of you who don't read Chad's blog, he got herpes. Or shingles, whatever that is. He's back in the states too. I think Derek will beat me back to the country by a couple of weeks too.

No comments: