Saturday, April 29, 2006

Who wants a Rolex?

So tonight I had a good immersion into Chinese (or at least Guangzhou) culture. I enjoyed my second authentic Cantonese meal. You should all know that Guangzhou is known within China as having the most eclectic tastes. They will literally eat anything. Their food is also quite spicy. So tonight we went to a Hot Pot restaraunt. Think of fondue, but instead of a dip, boiling hot water is in the middle of the table. We had two locals with us, so one of them (Oscar) ordered the food. I had eaten with Oscar for lunch on Friday, and he was impressed with my appetite for spicy food. Here though, things were a little different. Oscar ordered the food without telling us exactly what he got. The food was actually very good. You place the food into the boiling water for 3-5 minutes, then pull it out and eat it. Except Oscar gave us a complete intro into local food. We ate every part of a lamb from the neck down.
  • lamb meat? check.
  • lamb kidney? check.
  • lamb stomach? check.
  • lamb testicles? check.
  • lamb penis? check.
The worst part was easily the stomach/intestines. They looked disgusting and were very rubbery. Along with the lamb was vegetables and beef as well. If that's the worst I eat, this won't be too bad.

After the dinner we went to Beijing Road (Beijing Liu) where there is a huge open market. This is the place to buy knock-offs. I got a Rolex for 120RMB. Which is about $15. So who wants one? Send me an email with a picture, and I'll do my best. Also, there's Loius Vitton, Patek Phileppe, Tag Heuer, and almost anything you could think of. Guangzhou isn't known for touristy things, but is well known for shopping.
Tomorrow I hope to get back to the market for a bit, and maybe check out one of the tourist type things to do. Sorry I didn't have any pictures tonight, but I forgot my camera in the room. Tuesday night I'm going to Kuala Lumpur for the day, and Wednesday night thru Saturday I'll be in Bangkok.

No comments: