Sunday, April 30, 2006

I am a walking freak of nature

Or at least, that's what everyone here must think. But more on that later. I actually ventured out for some sightseeing today. Someone asked for a picture of the China Hotel, so here it is.
Right across from my hotel is a large park, Yue Xiu Park. Seeing as it's so close, I decided that it would be a good day to sightsee. The park has a large statue of five rams, which are the mythical beginings of Guangzhou. Finding said statue, however, is an exercise left up to the reader. It took me nearly two hours of tromping thru this rather large park, with lots of hills, to find it.
It was okay. It's a statue of goats. What more can you ask for? Also in Yue Xiu Park is a memorial to Dr Sun Yat Sen. This takes the form of a tower which you can climb. It's on top of a hill, so it has a good view of Guangzhou.
The most intersting part of the day was just watching everyone. China is on national holiday this week, so the park was pretty busy. Seeing entire families running around and playing was a lot of fun. It was intersting to see a bunch of people playing a game similar to hacky sack, but the kicker thing has feathers. Old and young alike would play this.

The other fascinating thing was obviously me. I had small children staring at me, mouths agape. They would then run up to me and just look up. Nearly everyone in the park did a double take when I would walk by. I'm not sure if it was my height, whiteness, or both that did it. I didn't see any other caucasians in the park. Everyone was very friendly, however. It was fun interacting with the children, most of whom could say "Hi! How are you!" or something to that effect. I was probably the highlight of their day.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Awesome!
I get much excitement reading your blog.

What is the hacky sack game called? Do people play a bunch of ping pong? Frisbee? Are you going to any sports events? And as your dad says...more pictures!!

Jarvy said...

Obviously my dad is very vocal. More pictures... I've got lots more pictures. But I try to only put the good ones on the site. Maybe I'll do more.