Monday, July 31, 2006

Dragons, Midgets and Cockfights, oh my!

My friends Chad and Liz are currently living in Bangkok for the summer. Chad is a student at UW-Madison, studying IP Law or something. He's in Bangkok working at a Thai law firm for a few more weeks. Given that we're both on the other side of the world, it was a good time to get together and have some drinks in Bangkok. First, it was HOT in Bangkok. I mean, really H-O-T!! I think I melted. It may not be that much hotter than Guangzhou, but the sun sure is a lot more evil there. The first thing we tried to go see was the snake farm. We didn't find it Friday, and it was closed Saturday. But we saw some pretty big lizards in the park we walked thru.
After the park, we headed out for some beers. Ah, Singha. Oh, and photographic proof that Chad is alive.
Gotta have some Tiger beer too.Bars have odd names in Bangkok.
This bar had a problem spelling the drinks. Jack Daniel, close enough. Captain Mogan? Must be the local version. Taquila? Sorry. Bacardi Cock? No way, not at all.
The highlight of the night? Well, if you remember last time I was here, I met a very short waitress. Got it beat. These two wanted 100 Baht for the picture, but I got 'em down to 40.
Saturday we trekked around Bangkok, and visited the Golden Mount. It gives a pretty nice view of Bangkok. They had bells while walking up the stairs.
Sunday we headed out to a huge market. Fortunately, the market delivered. Mostly in the form of an impromptu cock fight!
There were other pets for sale too. Tons of fish, as well as dogs, and squirrels.
This week brings a few days in Guangzhou, before one night in Hong Kong and then flying back home for a few days. Pretty excited to get back and enjoy another week of summer! And a night of camping, too.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Holy shit that midget picture is great!

This netire trip was worth it for that picture. It's hot here (as I'm sure you know). What temp is it there? Is it humid like here?

Was that xbox bar a strip club? I see they sell dog; but really do they eat dog?

Anonymous said...

Will you please bring that puppy home? It's too cute to get eaten.

Kelsey