Well, I'm back in Guangzhou, and all I can say is "uh-oh". Can you all see this alright? In an odd twist, I have the perfect ability to post an entry, but I've got no way of actually seeing said entry. Whenever I try anything at *.blogspot.com it just dies. Do not pass Go, do not view content, whatever. I don't think it's a problem with Blogger, either. I have the sneaking suspicion that this is my first major run-in with the local version of "teh interweb". I went a week without Google, still can't get to Wikipedia, have never had access to BBC News, and now this. The move to Hong Kong can't come soon enough.
I'm pretty sure if I fire up my VPN connection to the corporate network, I'd be able to get around this mess. I'll try that out later.
I certainly don't want to get all politcal on you, but we shouldn't take for granted the freedoms we enjoy in the States. There are many battles going on right now in the US, and I'm not going to preach on how I feel or how you should feel about these. But you ABSOLUTELY owe it to yourself and your country to at least be informed.
Starting places:
Flag Burning Amendment
Net Neutrality
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Well, it isn't limited to my hotel. Connecting via cellular modem wouldn't make it, either. Amazingly even using the VPN won't work. Maybe it's time to look into more effective techniques.
Update:
I WIN!! I have beaten you, Great Firewall of China. I will give you a small hint of how I accomplished this: check one of the links above.
Saturday, July 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i've misunderstood your powers of internetting? you can't even see what you're blogging!. so there!
Post a Comment