Thursday, July 27, 2006

Taipei

So on Tuesday I flew out to Taipei to visit a customer and meet the local sales team. If you don't know, Taiwan was formerly known as the island of Formosa, part of China. When the communists took over in 1949, the Nationalists fled to the island and formed their own country. Both sides was some sort of reunification, only on far different terms. Fortunately I was only asked once what most people in the US think, which is to say I don't think many of them know enough to make a decision. I sheepishly admitted to being less knowledgeable that I probably should be. I do think the US is one of the few countries to even tacitly acknowledge Taiwan.

But you don't care about that! You care about pictures! Well, I really only had time to see one thing in Taipei, and that's the "101" as the locals call it. The Taipei Financial Center, or Taipei 101, is currently the worlds tallest building, with 101 stories (no, I'm serious), and has damn fast elevators. Much like Kuala Lumpur, there's nothing even remotely near the height of the 101.
The outside of the building has 8 sections, for good luck, and is designed to resemble bamboo. Unfortunately it's hard to see the detail in some of the night pics, and I didn't have a chance to take any pictures during the day.
If you're feeling ill, don't say they didn't warn you.
Why shouldn't you go if you're feeling ill? Oh, because the elevators move at 60 km/hr! Total time to get to the top; about 35 seconds.
Some cool pics from the observation deck.
And in case you thought I stole these pictures, proof that I'm still alive.
Now I catch a plane to Bangkok to visit Chad and Liz.

No comments: